Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

About Me



About Me

Hi! Welcome to Fish Pond Buddy! I’m a fish farmer who grows the famous Philippine Dagupan bangus (milk fish), white leg shrimp or Pacific white shrimp (p. vannamei) and brackishwater Molobicus and Nilotica tilapia.



In 2006, I started to grow bangus in our own 2.3 hectare fish farm property and took a lease of a 1.4 hectare pond. Both in Binmaley, Pangasinan (a province in the southern cost of Lingayen Gulf in northern Luzon, Philippines).

That was three years after I retired from my day job in Metro Manila at age 50. 
 

Year 2006 was my first time running the fish farms in Binmaley. As a first timer in a rural area, I needed to make some adjustments. But after a few weeks, I adapted and soon relished the simple farm life. The clean air, fresh fish fruits and vegetables, the peaceful rustic ambiance of the "pokok" (fish pond).  

Main grow-out pond as viewed from the feeding area, one of 6 ponds in my 2.3 hectare fish farm.
 

I learned to work and live in the farm, eating fresh, home-cooked meals, living modestly like the rest. Found the simplicity of rural folks quite refreshing

For sure, there are challenges. Lots of manual work to maintain and operate the ponds, lack of experience, erratic weather, pond predators, sourcing of capable trusty workers, supplies and materials, etc. To me, fish farm life is both challenging and fun.

I keep a small farm house, with Manila as my family base. Every other week at the farm, the rest in Manila with my wife, children and grandchildren. That’s my routine. Works quite well based on my experience.

When I started in 2006, I was positive despite the language barrier (Pangasinense is the local dialect which I hardly spoke then), with no formal training in aquaculture. I was hopeful but realistic at the same time.
 

I’ve had beginner's mistakes, experiences, adventures and lessons too useful not to share. This blog site aims to chronicle them all.

About the Site

Fish Pond Buddy aims to reach: (a) bangus growers - to share personal tips on raising fish farm productivity and profits, cutting costs, preventing losses (b) would-be fish farmers (such as retirees, overseas returnees or aspiring millennial farmers) - on how to start fish farming (c) other interested parties, such as fish farm suppliers, vendors, traders, buyers, weekend/hobby farmers, students, etc.

Fish Pond Buddy shares tips on how to buy, sell, lease, transfer inherited fish farm property. We hope to share valuable experience on our personal dealings with the government agencies. 


We also have blog posts on plants and trees in Fish Pond Buddy. My wife and I are both plant hobbyists. Seven years ago, except for the old coconut and mango trees, the farm started almost bare. Over the years, we added myriads of ornamental plants and other fruit trees around the farm property. As a result, they have made it more fun and relaxing staying in the farm. 

My favorite breakfast/coffee nook - under the mango tree overlooking the pond

As added feature, this blog site devotes some posts on local dishes and delicacies, must-see travel sites, as well as other farm-related activities, focusing on traditional practices, skills and know-how.


Pangasinan is now my second home. A third of the time, I stay there and enjoy it. So come over and have fun in this lovely part of northern Luzon at the southern coast of Lingayen Gulf with its popular tourist sites, eating places, and unique products. Learn more about this place later through Fish Pond Buddy.

About the Content

All contents in this blog are my original work culled from personal observations, interviews, experiences, and researches. To provide perspective, contents may sometimes cite, refer, or quote selected technical materials from authoritative studies from such entities as Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC), and United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (UN FAO). In these instances, the reference author and book/site for such materials will be duly acknowledged. 


Observations in this site are strictly my own, focused more on the personal experiences I want to share and some management and business aspects. They are not meant to be expert technical opinion.

This blog, like others, is copyright-protected under Philippine laws and enjoys automatic protection under the Berne Convention (of which the Philippines is a signatory).


However, I share the contents for free with whoever has use for them and can learn useful tips from the articles. It’s more fun in Pangasinan!

For a compete list of Fish Pond Buddy blog posts on fish farm-related topics, please click the Index page.

Here's a recent photo of one of our grow-out ponds (February 2019).

A grow-out pond, used as cover photo for my Facebook blog page

You can visit me at my Facebook page at Facebook.com/fishpondbuddy

11 comments:

  1. Your blog is nominated for this year's Bloggys, Philippine Blogging Awards. Can you email us at awards@bloggys.ph so we can send you the official nomination letter? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nica! Thank you for your group's interest in my blog. As a fish farmer, I feel humbled for having this blog included as one of the nominees for Bloggys2015.

    Thanks again and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is Maricel from Bloggys, Philippine Blogging Awards. I'm happy to let you know that your blog is a finalist. Can I have your email please? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maricel! Just came back from the farm this afternoon and saw your message. That's indeed wonderful news for Fish Pond Buddy! You can email me at dantesmac@yahoo.com. Thanks and more power to Bloggys!

      Delete
  4. Hi, marami po'ng salamat sa mga inpormasyon dito sa blog ninyo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello po, tanong ko lang po, me and my wife is planning to do fish pond business (newbie) dito po sa Roxas City, baka po may mai recommend kayo na puwede kaming magtraining on how to run and operate fish pond business either dito sa Roxas City or sa Manila. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jojo! Sorry for this late reply.

      In our locality in Pangasinan, we have the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources where we usually go for training at Dagupan, which is next to my town in Binmaley. Since you're based in Roxas City, the nearest I know would be Seafdec Aquaculture Department in Tigbauan, Iloilo. They usually announce their training schedules for the year. You may email them at training@seafdec.org.ph or call telephone (6333) 3307030. Tigbauan is located at the south coast of Panay Island. Good luck on your planned fish pond business. Regards.

      Delete
  6. Hello po.. Can I ask? I'm a student. We are currently making a Bangus sorting machine and it is based on the thickness of Bangus. I read your blog and you said something about sizes 14, 12, etc. Is that the usual thickness of Bangus that is harvested? We did a study and claimed that a thickness of bangus can influence their weight, since weight is the basis of the sorters when sorting bangus..we want to propose that we can sort bangus by their thickness too.. However, we need something to support that claim. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi!The usual bangus sizes that we harvest are what we call marketable size, that is, anywhere from 3, 4, or 5 pieces per kilo (200, 250, to 330 gms. each). The sizes 8,10, 12, 14, 17 are juveniles that are still being grown (not yet ready for harvest). If you want to see a sample of the dimensions of these sizes, refer to my blog post "Catching Milkfish Using Net Trap". Other sizes are the young fingerlings, which we call sizes 1,2,3,4 (think of length of construction nail sizes, so size 1 is one inch or 2.5 cm, size 2 is 2 inches, etc.). These are the bangus fry that have grown after about 3 to 6 weeks in the nursery pond.

      Yes I think there is a relationship between body thickness and weight. We, laymen, notice this in our bangus. Even if the bangus is long but its "shoulder" or dorsal side is narrow, most likely weight is less than average (perhaps not enough feeds or there are competitor fish like tilapia). Fish sorters at Dagupan actually hand sort the bangus based on weight and length. For us ordinary growers, we ask our harvest workers to take out only 5 pieces per kilo and bigger. As guide we usually give them a sample bangus weighing 200 grams. After that we just rely on the fish sorter at the market to do the actual classifying. For each harvest, I usually get statistics on number of bangus taken out, total kilos sold, average number of pieces per kilo, average price per kilo.

      For technical references, try FAO, SEAFDEC or BFAR. I think FAO has a study on the relationship between length and weight, but I don't know if there has been any on body thickness-weight.

      Good luck!

      Delete